Facebook Woes

Yesterday at 4 pm, I got a notification on Facebook that my account had been indefinitely suspended from making groups and events. But that wasn't all that had happened -- I also completely lost the ability to post comments, and was basically restricted to liking/reacting to posts.

obligatory photo to make this post load correctly

There are no details in the Security Center, though it says there should be, so I don't know for certain what got me suspended. I have my suspicions, but as there are no details, I don't know exactly what the problem is. I sent in an 'appeal' of sorts (hit appeal on either create events or make groups, I don't remember which, and wrote in that I didn't see any report or details, but that I was suspended, and would like to know why); I haven't heard back (yet?).

Trying to log in on another browser, since at first I thought it was just a bug or something, I did get the message that my account had been disabled, and that I could download my information if I wanted. But logging in on my preferred browser doesn't show that message, so I'm not sure if my account really is stuck or not.

The problem is that I run the Beyond Space & Time Facebook page through my account: I made it after owning my FB account for some time, not through the create a page option you have when you go to the log in page. I'm worried that if I can't get this reversed, or if the situation continues to deteriorate, the Beyond Space & Time page may disappear altogether, or just be frozen, unable to use.

Since I'm not sure which, I've got screenshots of basically every post I've made on the page until pretty far back (not all the way to the beginning, mostly just posts where I put a lot of effort into writing about the holiday or verse the image was about). If you're reading this shortly after I've published this blog post, please do go to the FB page and screenshot or otherwise backup any posts you like, in case it all does disappear. I may have a master post made here in the future of all that was posted on the FB page, and be more diligent about actually crossposting, rather than mainly using FB and only posting longer stuff on here. I may move entirely onto this blog and stop using FB altogether.

I really don't want to lose the Facebook page. There is a lot of history on that page! Even though it's not the most ancient of things, there is a lot of personal attachment to it and the small community we've built together there. Honestly, if I lose access to the page, I really might end up taking a step back for a while to decompress because that's a huge blow.

I'm trying to get things resolved with Facebook, but knowing a lot of people this sort of thing has happened to, I don't have high hopes of getting a response (or getting one that's more than a form letter that doesn't really address my case). I'm praying it does get reversed, or at least that I can continue to use the Beyond Space & Time page, even if my personal account is permanently limited.

Hopefully, I'll have good news to share soon! I'll get to work on the master post, and see you then.

~River

An Update: It appears this temporary lock on my account had something to do the Inauguration in the United States where I am located; the day after the Inauguration, my account was completely restored. There are a few other people I know who had this happen as well, though I am surprised since I really don't ever post anything political or follow any political pages on my personal account.

I may not post everything from the Facebook page onto this blog, as it is a daunting task, but I am cross-posting from FB onto here going forward. Anything that was originally on Facebook will be posted with the FB Backup tag.

A (Final?) Update 1/16/2022: I have finished crossposting! (Literally exactly a year later, oh heaven.) A mammoth task, it has resulted in quite a lot of extra content on the blog that wasn't there before. I backdated posts, so they appear on the blog as though they were published on the same date and time as the original on Facebook was. There was quite a lot I had not posted anywhere but on Facebook, a total of at least 46 posts added just today (basically everything from 2020-early 2021 had to be added....), and I'm quite thoroughly annoyed at myself for not having cross posted the entire time when it was this much work to fix!

There are still several scripture verse images from way back that I've not added to the blog, as they aren't my best work and I never wrote descriptions for them when I made them (so you're not missing out on anything, haha) though you can still see them all the way at the end of the photos page on Beyond Space & Time, as well as on Pinterest (also rarely updated......) and probably still on Tumblr somewhere. I never deleted the blog on Tumblr, but it seems the search function doesn't do what it's supposed to anymore, so it's a pain to look up things on that blog. But now I'm done!! Definitely going to continue cross posting as I go from now on.....grumble, grumble....

Comments

  1. That's awful! I think there are quite a few people whose main engagement with the Ekklesia is through that page; it would be a terrible shame to lose it. Please let me know if I can help at all, and I'll keep my digits cruciform, as the saying goes, for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment